The Virtual Classroom tool in the Learning Hub is a desktop conferencing tool that allows instructors to give a PowerPoint lecture online. The instructors schedule the meeting sessions that include time and date, and then students can log in on that day and time to hear and participate in that lecture. Instructors can present their PowerPoint and talk about each slide. Students can hear and ask questions.
You’ll find the Virtual Classroom in the Activities menu.
When you first enter, you’ll probably see that you have no rooms. You will create a new meeting for each time you use this tool.
Click on the red circle with a white plus sign to create a new meeting room. Here are the settings to select (see sample below):
- Give it a title
- Start time
The (four) check boxes are used,
- to record the session for students who miss the time.
- to create a link to the recording
- to allow external people to access this session (if you select this option, you can get a URL for your meeting and send it by email to the non-students)
- This one is MANDATORY so your entire class can get in
Now you’ll see the meeting there in the Virtual Classroom area.
Click on the three dots icon and select Launch to enter the meeting. You will only be able to get in during the time the meeting is scheduled.
You will need to allow Bongo to run and access your mic and camera so look for those messages and allow them.
In the Meeting Lobby you’ll see all sorts of help notices. At the bottom click on the Enter Meeting Room button.
Select the Microphone option so you’ll be able to talk in the session. It will automatically do a test of your mic. Click the green yes button to finally get in.
As an instructor, click the person icon up at the top left so that you see a list of people who have entered your room.
Most things will happen in the big white area on this page. Here you can load images and PowerPoint presentations.
If you are adding images in your file, make sure your image size is web ready using 72dpi.
Here are instructions to upload a PowerPoint (.ppt) file:
Step One: Click on the blue circle with a plus sign, located at the bottom left hand corner and select “Upload a Presentation”:
Step Two: Drag and drop files or browse for your PowerPoint file and then click on “Start”:
Here is another job aid to show some features once you are in a Virtual Classroom
1. Online rooms have a maximum time frame of 240 minutes.
2. Session recording availability is up to 4 months.
3. Student and Instructor roles can access the room. All other roles need to be invited by an external link.
4. Only INSTRUCTORs can create a Virtual classroom. Not Program Head/Chief Instructor, Instructor(ev) roles, etc …
5. If you want you student to upload a file (ie – to do a presentation), click on the student name on the left hand side of the screen and choose “make as presenter”. Then have them upload their file…
6. If you did NOT check the “Publish Recorded Meeting” option, students will not be able to view the recording. Follow these steps:
Step 1 : Click on the three dots under the “Active” column
Step 2: Choose “Copy Public URL”.
Step 3: Place this URL in a News Item for students to be able to access the recorded session
7. Here are some additionalnotes and tips