Linking to ShareFile files within D2L
About this feature
For files larger than 1 GB, you will need to load them into your ShareFile and create a link to them from within D2 to allow students to download them.
You load the file into ShareFile, then create a link within ShareFile and then paste the link into your course’s D2L site. To start, access ShareFile through your web browser at https://sharefile.bcit.ca/.
Step 1: Create a URL to your file from within ShareFile
- Locate the file you wish to link.
- Right-click on the file and select the option to ‘Get a link’.
- If you wish to change link options (such as expiry time), click ‘Edit Link Options’.
Note: Default expiry for links in ShareFile is 31 days, so most courses will need this to be overwritten.
- Once you are satisfied with the link options, click on ‘Copy Link’.
Right-clicking on a file within your ShareFile website reveals the ‘Get a Link’ option.
Clicking on ‘Edit Link Options’ allows you to extend the expiry time of your link ranging from 1 day up to ‘never expires’. Click on ‘Copy Link’ when you’re satisfied with your options.
Step 2: Add the link to your D2L courses
- Create a new hyperlink in D2L and paste in your file’s unique link in one of the following D2L tools:
- News item
- Course Content page
- Class Discussion posting
- Quiz question and/or answer distractors
- Dropbox assignments and/or student feedback
- Class messaging using the D2L e-mail tool