- It’s important that your learners know how you will communicate with them. Inform them and set expectations at the start of the course.
- Will you communicate via Course News, D2L email, myBCIT email, or some other system?
- How frequently will you respond to e-mails, discussion postings, or assignment feedback?
- Communicating on a regular basis will help keep your learners motivated and on-task.
- By default this tool sits front and centre in the most prominent area of your course home page. Learners will see these announcements as soon as they navigate to their course.
- Enables text announcements that have images, links (to external sites and internal course resources), and embedded audio, video and multimedia.
- News posts are programmable to be released based on a variety of criteria:
completion of assignments or assessments
- Announcements can be personalized with each learners’ name to attract attention.
- Easy to create, edit and delete.
- Announcements can be copied into other course offerings (a future class of students, for example).
- Consider this a course messaging system – one-to-one or one-to-many in nature.
- D2L email is archived, so it can be good for formal communication that you might need to access at a later date.
- Messages can include file attachments, all types of links, and media integration.
Calendar and Events
- This tool enables reminders, weekly announcements, and due dates.
- Calendar events automatically show-up in the Events listing on the default course home page.
- Forums can be created for course news and instructor announcements.
- Learners can respond with questions or comments.
Alternatives include communicating via phone, a class blog or wiki, an external e-mail, or myBCIT e-mail.